A study by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) shows that the lack of jobs, health care, and education, can contribute to antisocial behavior. While the vast majority of poor people never engage in criminal activities, hopeless youth often do. James, half-brother of Jesus, wrote his letter to people who were largely poor. Rich landowners were ripping them off, taking their homes, and refusing to pay them fair wages. Under conditions like these, people often turn on each other to relieve their frustration. James tells God’s people how to act under such trying conditions. In James 3 he writes, “If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom. For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind. But the wisdom from above is first of all pure, peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere. And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.” Later, James harshly criticizes those who oppress the poor, but here he counsels believers under stress to love one another and treat each other with kindness.
- Why Unmarried Christians Are Having Sex: With so many single adults deciding that abstinence is ... 85 comment(s) | posted on July 25, 2012
- 10 Ways to Recognize a Good Guy: My Non-Negotiables for a Successful Relationship.... 12 comment(s) | posted on November 22, 2011
- "Thicker than Water" is Pretty Thin and Spiritually Impoverished: Bravo's new reality show about gospel artist and preach... 73 comment(s) | posted on November 11, 2013
- Fatherhood the ‘Courageous’ Way: Absent fathers are prime contributors to the failure of... 22 comment(s) | posted on September 29, 2011
- 10 Steps to Finally Leave a Toxic Relationship: For all those women out there who read my “How to Rec... 4 comment(s) | posted on December 2, 2011
- depression on Sex outside of marriage is very common today. : Good day! This is kind of off tooic but I need some gjidance from an established blog. Is it diffic...
- seq on How Superstition May Thwart Ebola’s Eradication in Guinea : we really have to keep them in prayer yall
- abortion African American Barack Obama Bible Chandra White-Cummings Christian Christianity church Education faith film Music Obama Politics President Obama Pro-choice pro-life race racial reconciliation racism