Dual citizenship means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. While it has its advantages, dual citizenship can also make life complicated. You might have tax obligations in both countries. The Bible teaches that believers in Jesus Christ, while living on earth, also have citizenship in heaven. This means that while we have certain duties as members of society, we have a higher obligation to God in heaven. Jesus tells us we are salt and light in the world. At the same time, Paul tells us that our citizenship is in heaven. He explains this in his letter to the Philippians. Just as Philippians claimed Roman citizenship though living in far away Philippi, believers are heavenly citizens while living here on earth. As citizens of heaven, God calls us to shun earthly values of self-centeredness, pleasure seeking, and living only for the moment. Paul criticized people of his day who claimed the benefits of salvation based on the sacrificial death of Christ; yet at the same time, denied its power to help them live a holy life. He said such people are enemies of the cross of Christ. Paul invited them to follow his example — to engage in a relentless pursuit of Christ-likeness. Jesus was persistent in obeying His Father in heaven, even as he served people here on earth. That is what citizens of heaven do.
- Why Unmarried Christians Are Having Sex: With so many single adults deciding that abstinence is ... 85 comment(s) | posted on July 25, 2012
- 10 Ways to Recognize a Good Guy: My Non-Negotiables for a Successful Relationship.... 12 comment(s) | posted on November 22, 2011
- "Thicker than Water" is Pretty Thin and Spiritually Impoverished: Bravo's new reality show about gospel artist and preach... 73 comment(s) | posted on November 11, 2013
- Fatherhood the ‘Courageous’ Way: Absent fathers are prime contributors to the failure of... 22 comment(s) | posted on September 29, 2011
- 10 Steps to Finally Leave a Toxic Relationship: For all those women out there who read my “How to Rec... 4 comment(s) | posted on December 2, 2011
- Laurna Tallman on Educating All God’s Children: A Review : Important words, Natasha. Churches can raise the intellectual level of their Sunday School and young...
- Brian Westley on Doing Apologetics from an Urban Perspective : "They have subscribed to some form of humanism that basically says they are god or there is no longe...
- abortion African American Barack Obama Bible Chandra White-Cummings Christian Christianity church Education faith film Music Obama Politics President Obama Pro-choice pro-life race racial reconciliation racism