- "Thicker than Water" is Pretty Thin and Spiritually Impoverished: Bravo's new reality show about gospel artist and preach... 72 comment(s) | posted on November 11, 2013
- Why Unmarried Christians Are Having Sex: With so many single adults deciding that abstinence is ... 85 comment(s) | posted on July 25, 2012
- Five Reasons To Celebrate Black History Month: Jemar Tisby, co-founder of the Reformed African America... 7 comment(s) | posted on February 3, 2014
- 10 Quotes from Myles Munroe on Personal Growth and Relationships: The late Dr. Myles Munroe had a vibrant ministry that e... 59 comment(s) | posted on November 10, 2014
- 10 Ways to Recognize a Good Guy: My Non-Negotiables for a Successful Relationship.... 12 comment(s) | posted on November 22, 2011
Helping you discover the truth of God's Word
Daily Directions, featuring Dr. Melvin Banks, is the two-minute daily radio program based on the themes found in UMI's annual commentary Precepts for Living.
Melvin Banks Sr., D. Lit.
Football players wear protective gear to help them avoid injury—pads to cover their thighs, hips, shoulders, necks, knees, and ribs, helmets to protect their heads and cover most of their faces. Players, parents, and coaches know that if players don’t protect themselves, they can have serious injuries that may even last a lifetime. Just as athletes guard against serious injury, the Bible alerts us to use equipment to protect us from spiritual defeat. The Apostle Paul writes in Ephesians 6, “Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh–and–blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.” Here is his advice: 1) Know and stay glued to the truth to avoid false teaching. 2) Rely on God’s righteousness—Do what pleases God and rely on His perfect righteousness that comes from faith in His Son. 3) Spread the Good News by wearing shoes that are eager to tell people about Him. 4) Use the shield of faith to defend against insults, setbacks, the urge to sin, or the urge to engage in self-pity. 5) Affirm and meditate on the source of our salvation, the Cross of Christ. Never lose sight of the price He paid to save us. 6) Study and rely on the sword of the Spirit, God’s word. Finally, he says, pray regularly. In these ways, we can not only stand our ground, we can be a light to show others the way to God.
We've got you covered! Check out our Daily Direction archives. You'll find the podcasts organized by day, date, and month.